All members of The Parti Poodle Club undertake to abide by the General Code of Ethics drawn up by the Kennel Club, (1-14), as well as what is expected of its own members, (15-28).
General Kennel Club Code of Ethics
All breeders who register their puppies with the Kennel Club accept the jurisdiction of the Kennel Club and undertake to abide by its General Code of Ethics. The registered owners of all Kennel Club registered dogs accept the jurisdiction of the Kennel Club and undertake to abide by this general Code of Ethics:
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy should be culled. Puppies that may not conform to breed standards should be placed in suitable homes.
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs will wear properly tagged collars and shall be kept fully leashed or under effective control when away from home.
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog. The owner will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind.
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed or falsely advertise dogs or mislead any person regarding the quality of a dog.
NB: Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the kennel club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
In addition, The Parti Poodle Club expects the following of its members:
- Members will not knowingly sell their dogs or puppies for the purpose of intentionally crossing with other breeds, nor allow their stud dogs to be mated with bitches of a different breed.
- Prior to breeding, members are required to ensure that both dam and sire have had the required health tests, as in recommended guidelines for their respective sizes.
- Members must ensure that both sire and dam are of suitable type and temperament.
- Members are recommended to only breed from Kennel Club registered stock and register all puppies with the KC making use of the endorsement schemes offered.
- All dogs registered with the Parti Poodle Club are endorsed.
- Members will only breed for the betterment of the breed and not for commercial gain.
- Members will keep puppies safe and secure and within the boundaries of their home until they have been purchased by their new owners or have had their full inoculations.
- Members agree to ensure that purchasers are made aware of the full implications of keeping a poodle, particularly with regards to the costs of grooming, exercise, feeding and training.
- Members who are breeders should ensure that all puppies leave their premises with care and diet sheets, registration and micro-chipping/tattooing certificates.
- Members agree to offer a lifetime service to their puppy purchasers and agree to take back any dog they have bred should owner’s circumstances change and notify the breed rescue as necessary.
- Members agree, taking into account which size they have, that bitches should not be mated under 14 months of age and not over 8 years of age. Bitches to have no more than 4 litters in their lifetime and with a rest of at least one clear season in between litters. Exceptions accepted if approved by the Kennel Club.
- Members agree not to breed from a bitch unless they are able to devote sufficient care and attention to the bitch and her litter.
- Members agree to ensure that any dog that is made available for public stud is of sound construction and temperament and has the relevant current health tests for their size.
- Members agree that as a stud dog owner they accept a proportion of responsibility for the puppies their dogs produce.